Controlling Your Energy
It is very important, both when working with magic as well as in mundane life, that you have an awareness of your personal energy and how it affects your body and mind. This discusses various techniques for managing your personal energy and “remaining present” in ritual and magic.
There are a number of ways to control your energy levels, as well as your mental, emotional and spiritual states. Here are some:
- Mundane-ing – Get the person out of the ritual mindset and into a mundane, normal mindset. Ask them what they did yesterday, if they like their boss, what their favorite color is. Anything to engage their rational mind and get it to focus on something other than what is/was happening to them.
- Shielding – Create energetic shields around the person to block energy flows that are causing them problems. If they are unable to create their own shields, do it for them (temporarily).
- Blocking – Like shielding, but more physical. Put yourself physically between you and the source of distress. Provides the energetic benefits of shielding with the physical obstruction added in for additional blocking power.
- Charging – Raising a person’s energy level by putting energy into their system.
- Re-Tuning – This is where you re-tune someone’s energy to a higher vibratory level (or rarely, lower level) so that they can handle the higher levels of energy without adverse effect. This is analogous to shifting a car into a higher gear. Like when you shift to a higher gear, the engine sounds quieter, but it is actually capable of running faster. Retuning someone’s energy has a similar effect in that they will perceive energy levels as lower than they actually are because their capacity has increased, and people tend to measure energy related to their own capacity to hold and use it. Retuning should not be done without permission as it can permanently change the person’s vibration and energy levels. It often has an adjustment period of a day to a week where physical and energetic problems may be noticed as your physical and energetic bodies realign.
- Energy Shifting – Like Retuning, but on a smaller and temporary scale. Temporarily shifting the person’s vibration rate, either higher or lower for a short period of time.
- Finding Equilibrium – Hot water poured into cold water creates warm water. Energy will naturally seek to find balance on its own. This state is called Equilibrium. Simply relax and allow energy to flow in, out, around or through without forcing it. This technique is also good for finding harmony with your environment by allowing it and you to flow through and into each other.
- Breaking Connections – Energetic ties or threads can be formed while working magic or ritual, usually unconsciously. By breaking this connection energetically or physically you can often remedy related problems.
- Regaining Focus – A simple reminder to focus on a particular object or task is often all that is needed to help bring a person back to where they should be.
- Stilling – Bringing your body to a calm, steady, relaxed state. The physical version of Centering, Balancing and Attuning.
- Centering – “Getting a grip” mentally. Useful for when the concentration is poor, thoughts are scattered or coming in a flood. The mental version of Stilling, Balancing and Attuning.
- Balancing – Consciously working to balance energies. Like Equilibrium, but can be used when the person is unable to relax enough for Finding Equilibrium to let energy flow naturally. The energetic version of Stilling, Centering and Attuning.
- Attuning – Getting in touch with your spiritual core and Spirit. The spiritual version of Stilling, Balancing, and Centering.
- Closing – Closing a person’s chakras temporarily, either in whole or in part, to prevent the flow of energy in or out of them.
- Cocooning – Creating a shielding bubble of energy around someone. Can be used to cut someone off from the energy of a circle without them realizing it.
- Resting – Sometimes a person just needs a break. Quiet time, a quick nap or a good sleep does wonders at all levels.
- Remaining Present – A collection of skills for recognizing the signs and feelings of being moved out of control of your own body, such as through channeling or possession. Training for noticing the warning signs, such as trace states, spontaneous body movement, perceiving thoughts, voices, and feelings that are not your own and ways to slow or stop the process if desired, along with establishing your boundaries and rules for passing messages through you to others.
- Shock – A surprising sound or sensation can break someone out of many states where their attention is no longer present. A loud noise near them, such as a sharp clap of the hands, will often snap someone out of an altered state. In extreme cases, a physical action such as a slap in the face or a moderate kick to the shin will bring people back immediately with no long-term side effects. These should obviously only be used as a last resort and under circumstances that would allow for it.
- Radical Grounding – Techniques can be used to quickly remove excess energy from someone. These involve physical, more than energetic, action. For example, Heel Drop – Have the person jump up into the air. When they are in the air, have them lock their knees and land hard on both heels. There will be a physical jarring when they land that serves to drive their energy deep into the ground immediately. Repeat if needed. Note: This technique is not recommended for anyone with knee or spine problems.
- Grounding – Grounding is listed last because it is the most overused technique available. It is often suggested for nearly every situation and is usually the wrong thing to do. If you are low on energy, grounding won’t help you. If you have an imbalance or blockage of energy, grounding won’t help you. If you are trying to build energy, grounding will suck it out of you. If you are trying to be fluid and mobile, grounding will interfere with this and keep you rooted. If you are trying to do out-of-body work, grounding will keep you in it. Grounding is useful when you have some extra energy that you want to get rid of, and not much else. In most cases where you would want to ground, you can simply do some “instant magic” and project the energy out with an intent behind it, and you will still get the benefit of getting rid of the energy, but you’ll have put it towards a goal.
By learning to practice these various techniques you will be able to better control your own internal world, which then lets you focus better on your external world.